Whenever I do not have a protective style, I cleanse my hair and scalp once a week. My regimen is as follow:
-Wash with sulfate free shampoo
-Deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner
- It is best to do 20-30 mins under a hooded dryer so the conditioner can penetrate into the hair shaft
- Or leave the conditioner on for at least 30 mins
*Whichever method you use, be sure to apply a plastic bonnet to your head to trap in the heat so the conditioner can be effective and penetrate your hair strands.
- Rinse hair thoroughly with lukewarm water, followed by a cold rinse to seal in the hair cuticles.
- Dry using a tshirt( using a cotton tshirt is more gentle and reduces frizz)
- Seperate hair in 4 sections or more( I have a lot of hair, doing so makes the whole styling process easier )
- Apply leave-in conditioner
- Seal in conditioner using a natural oil or a mix of oils
- Gently detangle each section from tip to roots and twist
- Let it air dry
- Style while the hair is dry or somewhat damp( at this time , I use a styler for better hold)
I try to stay away from heat as much as possible. Excessive heat causes the hair to be dry, hence more breakage and no length retention.
It is ok to use heat , but just minimize it!! I save the flat ironing for special events or length checks. I blow dry once a month on low-cool setting.
Check out my Hair Products.
Thanks for reading, I hope that helps.
If you have any question, drop them below. Feel free to share your regimen as well 🙂